What is College Prep Coaching & Test Prep? How can it help me?
Yes, you want information, but more than tha, you really want results. And that’s exactly what we provide. Learn how to select the right high school courses, maximize extracurricular activities, create a strong college list, submit polished applications that will get results, and ace the ACT and SAT. We offer a wide variety of college planning options to fit your needs. The list to the right desribes our various coaching services.
Click on the title for more information.
What we offer
Online Courses are ideal for the family that wants to plan ahead or work through the college admission process on their own– but with expert information and step-by-step guidelines. Each course in the college planning series consists of video lessons where Megan Dorsey discusses key factors for college admission and what you need to do to maximize your results.
Personal consultations are ideal to answer individual questions or supplement the work you have done with the online courses. In 90 minutes Megan Dorsey will personally address your college admission concerns, provide guidance and suggestions for future action. Consultations are intended to address the needs of families who want one or two sessions, but are not looking for comprehensive assistance with test prep or application review.
If you want more than the online course or a single consultation can provide, application coaching may be right for you. Megan offers a variety of application coaching programs designed to walk students through various aspects of the college admissions process.
College essays can’t get an unqualified student in the door. But many qualified candidates are rejected each year because they failed to showcase their strengths. We’ll jump start your college applications and increase your odds of acceptance with top scholarships and merit aid by identifying your application emphasis, getting started on focused essays and resumes, building confidence, and presenting top applications for admission.
Not all prep courses are the same. Our class structure mirrors the actual test. All of our instructors are test prep professionals and are not just reading a guide book. Our program was designed and developed by Megan Dorsey, a nationally recognized expert in collegiate testing. Our classes were founded on the belief that all students can succeed.
Top scores, like great grades, are no accident. They are the result of preparation and planning. We have helped thousands of students prepare for the SAT, PSAT, and ACT and we are ready to help YOU! Every student is different and we offer a variety of programs to meet your needs.
This is a free 14-day e-course hosted by Megan Dorsey. Each day you will receive an email with a video, article, checklist, or audio lesson. Your commitment to the course will determine your results.
What We Can Help You With
My Approach to Coaching
School counselors just don’t have enough time to offer academic guidance and college planning to students. And it’s no wonder: the average student-to-counselor ratio is 457:1?
I am a former counselor from the Houston Independent School District. I worked with some great people and I loved my students, but a large school district is almost the textbook definition of bureaucracy.
I started College Prep, LLC, in 2006 because I wanted to break free from the bureaucracy and spend ALL my time helping students and their families prepare for college. I can meet in the evenings or on weekends, so I can work with the entire family and I don’t need to wait until students are in high school to make suggestions on course selection and academic planning. I take time to get to know a student’s strengths, weaknesses, and goals.
When students take my SAT prep classes they have chosen to improve their chances of getting into the college of their dreams. I have the privilege of working with some of the most unique students who are truly interested and motivated in maximizing their college options and I look forward to working with you.
The College Prep Difference
Test prep programs are not all the same. We are a boutique college prep company that specializes in college entrance exams. Here’s how our programs are different and unique:
- We have an exclusive focus on college admissions exams: ACT, PSAT & SAT only.
- We offer expert instruction.
- Our program was designed by and is continuously developed by a national expert.
- Our class structure mirrors the actual test.
- We set aside intentional time for practice and mastery.
- We provide exclusive use of official test materials.
We offer a variety of test prep solutions to suit your needs
Online SAT/ACT Results – 12 month online access to video course
Crash Course – 1-day intensive in Sugarland, TX
Classic Test Prep – traditional 8-week course in Sugarland, TX
Private Coaching – fully personalized program in person or via Zoom
Parents get a free jump start
Are you trying to plan ahead for college admissions, but just don’t know where to start? Do you worry that your child won’t be able to get into the college of his or her choice? Are you getting the college planning information you need from your child’s guidance counselor?
Try out our free 14-day Parent’s Guide to College Admission to help you prepare your child for college success.
Find out when the next test prep classes start in Sugarland, TX
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you offer a guarantee?
We know a lot of the “big box” test prep companies offer a score improvement guarantee. Start reading some of these “guarantees” and you will find a lot of fine print. We don’t want to mislead you with sales gimmicks and fine print.
We are confident enough in the program to offer a money back guarantee. Start the program. Take a close look at the materials. If you don’t like what you see after the first lesson, you can request a refund on the remaining classes.
Keep in mind the ACT and SAT are performance based activities. It is almost impossible to guarantee how someone will perform on a given day. No one can guarantee test results. Think of test prep like working with a trainer at the gym. Part of the client’s success comes from the information and inspiration provided by the trainer, but the client still has to do the work.
What is the average score improvement?
Score improvement depends primarily on student effort. You wouldn’t expect the student who misses class or never does homework to get results.
Typically students who attend all the classes, take the practice tests, complete all the homework, and put effort into their work improve by 3-4 points total (composite score) on the ACT and 100 points per section (200 points total) on the SAT. Of course, that is an average—some students do even better and others may not improve as much.
How many students are in each class?
Some classes are smaller than others, but we never take more than 20 students per class. We have a six student minimum for all SAT and ACT classes.
How is your test prep different from the others?
The short answer is:
- Our class structure mirrors the test. Our class is structured just like the ACT / SAT. Students learn to focus on one subject for an extended time, but are also required to switch topics in class (just as they will switch section on the exam.)
- All our instructors are test prep professionals with years of educational experience. We will never have a college kid trained on a workbook teaching for us.
- You get one instructor for the entire class. Yes, our instructors are experts in the entire test: math, reading, grammar, date interpretation, and the essay. We don’t ask you to switch teachers each time, so you can ask questions anytime; you don’t have to wait for math day!
- Our program was designed by a nationally recognized expert. Megan Dorsey’s test prep advice has been featured on CBS, NBC, Wall Street Journal, Education Weekly and many other sources. Megan even teaches some of the classes (mostly on Sundays). You won’t get that with other test prep companies.
- We are a locally owned and operated business. We offer expert instructors and proven materials at a competitive price because we aren’t paying franchise fees or high overhead. We do a lot to give back to educational efforts in the community.
Should I take the SAT or the ACT?
Ignore the old rumors that say one test is more like school or the other test is better for students applying to highly-selective universities. These rumors are NOT true. Both tests are challenging. Both tests are equally weighed by any college asking for standardized test scores.
The difference comes down to personal preference. Here are some practical considerations to guide your decision:
- Compare scores from previous or practice tests. Make sure you are using NEW SAT scores not old ones. You can use this concordance table from College Board.
- If you haven’t taken either test, obtain an official full-length practice test at no cost from your guidance counseling office at school.
- Does one test offer a better format? Some students like the predictability of the ACT. Others prefer the shorter sections of the SAT. This is a personal preference.
- Does one test/class better meet your schedule? Check for conflicts with school holidays, sports or extracurricular, and family activities.
Unless your previous scores say otherwise, go with your gut. Take the test that feels most comfortable to you.