Social media and college admissions.
We’ve all heard the cautionary tales, but there are some surprising ways social media can help you in your college search.
On a recent episode of “The College Prep Podcast,” my co-host, Gretchen, and I discuss the possibilities of using LinkedIn to find out more about colleges. Did you know that LInkedIn is a great place to search for information about what kinds of jobs students get after graduating from specific schools?
Listen in as We Learn:
- How to use LinkedIn to research whether colleges you’re considering will really help you get the kinds of jobs you think you want, and
- The power of forming real-life relationships with professionals in careers students are interested in.
Search by College:
There are many tips in the full episode; however, if you want the quick version:
- Go to LinkedIn and search for a college of your choice.
- On the left navigation bar, click on “Alumni”.
- You will then see high level information about where alumni live and work.
Even better, you can filter this view.
- You can filter based on year (in the top bar). This will allow you to see where their recent grads are employed. Or
- You can filter by location, major, or job. (To filter by major or job, you’ll need to click the “Next” button.)
Search by Company:
You can also start your search with a particular company, maybe one you would love to work for or one with which you are invited to interview.
Similar to the college search but with the emphasis on the company, you can:
- Type in the name of a specific company in the main LinkedIn search bar.
- Click on people on the left navigation.
This type of search will show all the people who work at a particular company. Unfortunately, you don’t have the same data filtering capabilities, but you can filter by location, job duties, and what employees studied in college. This will give you a good idea of the colleges from which a particular company heavily recruits. It may be helpful to search based on major because the colleges can change a lot.
I learned a lot when recording this episode. There are a lot of ways you can use LinkedIn to help your college search.
You can find the full episode here or on your favorite podcasting platform (iTunes, etc.).